I made a variety of samples of hexagons for the Katsura Shadows Shift Dress, investigating the effect of light and shadow, use of colour and the flow of the pattern.
Hexagons were butted up to each other and some spaces left. Colours too muted and the pattern did not flow.
The use of thicker needles in the needle punch gave a hairier distressed effect to the finish of the fabric. I decided to use finer needles.
I tried digitally printing hexagons on the fabric but these distorted when needle punched.
The colours on this sample were much more successful giving a pleasing shadowy effect. The use of finer needles gave a shimmer to the fabric.